Friday, September 2, 2011

Thursday, September 1, 2011 :: I Love Insurance Companies

So, you all may remember that the flood insurance we bought on June 4 was declared invalid for this flood on June 6 by FEMA. Apparently we're covered for any other flood other than this Missouri River Basin flood. So I guess if my toilets overflow or my leaking hot water heater really starts to make a mess, we'll be good. (Hot water heater is fixed now, by the way.)

Anyway, today I decided not having to deal with yet another insurance entity might not be such a bad thing. Why? I'm so glad you asked.

My Dr.'s Office called today saying a claim they sent in for Clayton's visit back in February for his Kindergarten shots was denied. Being a homeschooler and all, I figured it was because we didn't actually get his Kindergarten shots until February of his Kindergarten year. Nope. The reason is because they had his birth year recorded as 1904. And apparently they didn't think someone who was 106 needed Kindergarten immunizations. Go figure.

And then I got to spend an hour on the phone with them (mostly on hold) getting it all straightened out. And to be fair, they were very congenial and the problem was resolved quickly....once I got to speak to a real person.

It did make me really thankful, once again, that we did not have any water damage to our house which would have forced us to press the issue with the flood insurance people.

In flood-related news, FEMA was at our house Sunday recording the damage to our foundation and looking at our rigged-up water system since we lost water about 6 weeks ago. If you remember, our water line goes went along the highway over where the Trooper disappeared....you know, where there's a 40-50 foot crater now? I have no doubt that water line is long gone. Anyway, a FEMA guy sent in the report of our damages and loss of utilities (water) on Monday morning.

On Tuesday, a gal from FEMA called and wondered if water had been restored to our residence yet. I was speechless. I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry, or hang up on her. I kindly told her, "no."

She asked if I thought it would be fixed anytime soon.

I wished I could have sent her this picture:

"Ma'am, this is where our water line is  was. I don't believe they'll be fixing it anytime soon."

Speaking of not fixed anytime soon, how about these pictures of the interstate up by Council Bluffs....


Yikes. And to think these were the last to be covered by water and the first to be uncovered.

Can't wait to see what else is under all of this water.

No comments:

Post a Comment