Saturday, July 2, 2011

Friday, July 1, 2011 :: New Pets

This is actually the 3rd flood event Dustin and I have been through. In 1993, when we were still newlyweds, it started to rain just after the 4th of July and we kept getting massive rains for WEEKS. We are seeing water levels similar to the '93 flood this year, in both depth and placement.

Last year was the 2nd flood, although not quite the magnitude for us as the '93 flood. This year is #3...and they say the 3rd time's a charm!

There are some unusual things that happen when flooding is all around you. The stench that I mentioned a few days ago is one of them. Another is the ANIMALS.

You know, animals will generally move to higher ground when they have to. And apparently right now, we sit on a sliver of ground about 3 miles long that is the highest around. So, voila, instant new pets.

Yesterday Dustin said he saw 3 deer just outside his den window. Just this morning, there was a deer in the back yard, about 100 feet from the house. When I stuck my camera out of the bathroom window to get a picture, I happened to look down and saw THREE SKUNK crawling under our AC unit. Anyone have a good way to get rid of not one, not two, but THREE skunk?? One that doesn't involve the use of bullets--everyone I've talked to has said NOT to shoot a skunk close to the house because you will regret it...and your neighbors will not be happy.

We also have seen an increase in snakes on the road, although I haven't noticed any extra in the yard. Same with turtles.

Oh, and we have a new state bird...the mosquito. The next thing around here will be West Nile.

No photos today, although the river has been going down slightly all day, currently at 25.54. This is a nice change.  Also it seems like the water has stopped, or really really slowed down. We might escape water of any kind after all.

And NOW I'm wishing I'd have watered my tomato plants 3 weeks ago!!

No comments:

Post a Comment