Monday, July 4, 2011

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Well, so much for being in that orangish-pink color.
I guess the 1-2 inch rain we got last night is bringing the river back up. <insert sigh here>

We have a little more water in our yard now, but still just in the bottoms of the ditches and low parts of the yard. If we have any trees left when this is over with, it will probably be a miracle. I KNOW if there are any trees left over at Big Lake, it WILL be a miracle. Some of the big cottonwoods in the water on the other side of the levee are actually tipping over now. And there's a crumpled up grain bin floating around over there, too. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow.

I found this image on the Holt County, Missouri Facebook page that shows our county with flooded areas highlighted. I marked where we live with the bright red dot, just west of Bigelow. (click on it for larger view)
I'm not sure how old this map is, but there is actually a little more water to the east of us than what is shaded in. So you can see why our yard is the local wildlife refuge at the moment. You can also see why we get real nervous when it rains. We are pretty much surrounded, and the water has nowhere to go.

On the lighter side, here are a few signs I came across while surfing the web tonight:



This is a restaurant sign. (The Pallid Sturgeon is a fish, and Piping Plover a bird. In recent years, the environmentalists have altered the way the Mainstem Dams have been managed in order to save these animals. Don't misinterpret--I'm not against saving the wildlife, that's for sure. I believe we are called to be good stewards of the earth God gave us. But when we put TOO high a value on saving the wildlife, things go crazy. And just to be clear, the "save the wildlife" thing is only one factor in this whole complicated mess. Please don't leave me nasty comments, ok?) Here's another one:

And I leave you with that. Everyone have a great and safe 4th of July!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are almost an island!!! Start thinking up names.... remember, "Gilligan's Island" is already taken :o) Blessings, The Bender's

    ReplyDelete