Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Monday, July 11, 2011

Item of Business #1) I just got the T-shirts tonight! I've been sorting and labeling and tomorrow I hope to get them in the mail, delivered, or stocked at Gordon Auto Body for those picking them up locally. If you ordered a T-shirt, though, I will let you know!  I did order several extra, so if you want one but didn't order one, let me know ASAP and I'll let you know what I have.

Item of Business #2) Hooray, I found the cables to my 2 non-expensive cameras!! Of course they weren't where I thought they should be. Oh well.... So anyway, here are the photos I was wanting off of this camera:
Remember the guy with the corn field and all of his corn was getting flooded and falling over? Here's how he "improved" his seed variety sign this week:
I love this.

For those of you who don't have any idea what this sign is, this is what farmer's do.... When their field of whatever is up and growing beautifully, their seed rep (the guy who sold them the seed) will come and place a sign listing what variety of corn or beans is growing there. You may be asking, "Why on earth would anyone care?" Well, no one does care, except other farmers. But those other farmers care immensely. Because let's face it, farmers drive around and look at other farmers' crops. And these little signs are like little advertisements saying, "PLANT ME NEXT YEAR, PLANT ME".

So I guess Mike's advice is this--if you plan to have a foot or two of water on your field next year, Pioneer P0461 may NOT be your best choice. (Actually, rice may be your best choice...)

Also, we still have the National Guard stationed about 1/4 mile to the east of us--they have a check-point set up there. This means every time you go through there, they ask for your name and get your license plate number. The guys who take the night shift have been trying to figure out the best way to keep our killer mosquitoes away. I think they've tried just about everything. One of them finally went to Walmart and got this:
...a screen tent. They say it works the best of all of the things they've tried. Last night when I asked if I could take a picture of him with his tent, I think he thought I had went crazy. But the National Guard is always the utmost in polite, so he obliged me anyway.

And those mosquitoes are still pretty nasty. Today, in 95 degree weather at 2:30 in the afternoon, while mowing the yard, a mosquito was trying to get me through my jeans shorts. That's what I call determination.

The water looks like it is going down a bit, and our handy-dandy chart looks something like this:
This is good. Although I don't expect it to go any lower than this until they stop releasing all of that water up north.

And I leave you with this photo from our ocean-view property...

No comments:

Post a Comment