Saturday, July 9, 2011

Friday, July 8, 2011 :: Vacation ideas...NOT

Top 5 Vacation Ideas that a Flood Victim does NOT want to try

5. A "Save the Endangered Species" Rally


4. Any kind of train ride that involves the Railroad, particularly BNSF.

3. The Titanic museum.
There have been times in the last few weeks where I sit in my house and wonder if, in a week, everything I'm looking at will be at the bottom of the ocean river. And in a moment of insanity (and probably a little self-pity) I thought I might have known how people on the Titanic felt when they heard the news that it would all be at the bottom of the ocean in a few hours. Of course then I realized our situations are just a little bit different. Just a tad. Particularly the whole "most of THEM drowned in ice water" part.

2.  A cruise
Thinking...boat ride, surrounded by water, with nothing better to do than sit there and look at all..that..water.

1. The ocean..any of them
I mean really, who needs the ocean when you have this...

...or this...

Want to add to my list? Leave me a comment!
----------------------------------
You know that place in Branson, Ride the Ducks? My kids were asking me the other day about those vehicles that can drive down the road and then just splash into the water and "become" a boat. They wanted to know (a) why they don't sink, and (b) if we could get one. I'm beginning to think that might not be a bad idea...I'm thinking some people would pay serious money to be ferried across the river at Rulo right now.

In skunk news, I think something has died--in my trash can IN the garage. Seriously. I'm really hoping it is a skunk...or two or three. And as far as I know, my husband someone has NOT removed the dead one under the bush in front of our sunroom....
---------------------------------------------------
One last thing, I saw this tonight on the Army Corps of Engineers website:
They have now posted information on "Filing a claim for damages as a result of the US Army Corps of Engineers operations related to Missouri River Flooding in 2011." It goes on to say, "The Corps has established a process to accept and review claims from those who believe they are entitled to compensation for damages attributed to the Corps' Missouri River operations. The process will allow the Government to evaluate the claims, and, if liable, to offer appropriate compensation as permitted by law." (emphasis mine)

Do they realize how many people believe they are entitled to compensation for damages attributed to the Corps' Missouri River operations??

In addition, does anyone else find this laughable? And I'm certainly not discouraging filing a claim here, because I think a person ought to try, but I just find it funny because (a) The ACE has been exceptionally careful to NOT admit fault in any way shape or form, and trust me, I've read a lot of ACE stuff lately (and admitting fault=being liable=getting sued about a gazillion times); and (b) apparently now our tax dollars are going to pay for some office somewhere, staffed with people "reviewing" claims...claims that I'm suspecting have no chance whatsoever of being accepted. But then again, what do I know? I actually thought I might have a normal summer this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment