Monday, June 13, 2011

Levee Breaks

Well, the water flow begins. Although these two levee breaks do not directly threaten our house, the one near Big Lake will potentially threaten some of our farmground, and any time there is water in the area, the threat increases to surrounding areas, like our house. My heart goes out to those now directly impacted by the water.

The levee breaks, from what I have heard, are near Hamburg, Iowa, and somewhere north of Big Lake. The secondary levee built by local people near Big Lake is holding at the moment, but I read somewhere they anticipated that levee would also eventually erode and break.

We also got reconnected to the internet briefly this morning, but received word this afternoon that our internet provider pulled the equipment out of Big Lake (where our internet comes from) in anticipation of the flooding. So, no more internet for us until the flooding recedes. I still hope to update, but they may be quite brief (if I have to use my iPod) or less frequent. I am thankful for free wi-fi at McDonalds, but not sure I want to make a trip into town every day.

Once again, please pray for safety. The guys want to do everything they can to keep flooding to a minimum, so they're running equipment and such, where needed. And accidents do sometimes happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment