Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday, June 23, 2011 :: Well I never...

Things I never thought I would hear, say, or do....
1. Today I found myself passing out styrafoam bowls and spoons to a line of 20 prison inmates, 1/2 mile from my home. A friend of mine was dishing them out ice cream.
2. Someone told me, "I don't think there's any way fish could get into our house unless we leave the doors open."
3. Also overheard,"Where would be the best place to put these life jackets for the kids in case you need them to get out of your yard?"
4. This evening you could find me in the sandbag assembly line with almost 10-month old Kristin strapped to my back. I was opening the empty bags and handing them one by one to the machine operator for filling. (We had a sandbag machine.) I don't really know how long we did this, but if felt like a couple of hours. My other kids were either helping me or tying sandbags....do you think I can count that as something educational in the homeschool log??
5. When we finished sandbagging, my kids worked together, without any prompting from anyone else, building this:

What is it, you ask? Our house with a dike around it. What? Your kids don't know how to build a dike around their house??

The status of things, wow, I'm not really sure what to tell you because there are still so many variables. I know a couple of other levees broke down south by Forest City. And there at least was water coming into Fortescue today. (5 miles south of us) Dustin doesn't seem to think it's time to get moved out, but if I'm honest with y'all, I'm getting a little nervous. He has assured me at this point that the water at Fortescue would come slowly if it reaches us at all--UNLESS we get a big rain directly north of us, like Fairfax area. So pray for NO RAIN FOR FAIRFAX FOR THE WHOLE SUMMER. (Sorry Fairfax area farmers...)

We do have a trailer ready nearby, an army of help lined up, and now lots of stuff already boxed up. Actually, the hard stuff is boxed up, so that is good! I've also already moved out any priceless possessions like photo albums because I didn't want to risk getting them lost in the shuffle. <sigh> It's taken 6 women 2 days to just do what we've done so far....can you imagine how long it will take me to unpack it all????

So, that's where we're at. And I'm still exhausted. But God is good, all the time. And I have a LOT to be thankful for. I'm especially thankful today for super-helpful friends--both the ones that have been here and the ones who may be here in the near future! I think I'd be floating down the river without you!!

And with that, I leave you with a few photos from the day...
 A building over at Big Lake, about 4 miles from our house. (photo by Ryonee Curtis)

Inside the fence? The swimming pool over at Big Lake State Park....looks like someone left the water on! (photo by Ryonee Curtis)

My kids are going to be so well-rounded after this--sandbagging is now a family affair! 

Playing on the piles of sandbags when we were done.

Earlier today, the inmates filling sandbags.

Also earlier today, the machine wasn't filling bags fast enough to keep them all busy, so some of them started filling sandbags by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment